Magento Quick Search Configuration for Quick Results
The tag line “Commerce Without Limit” appropriately describes what Magento has to offer. The more you learn about Magento, you would know that there are so many possibilities, permutations and combinations that can be used to enhance the offerings of Magento. One such possibility is to enhance the Search feature by making use of existing features and add-ins that will only keep making it better and better. This article will focus on Magento search customization
using the in-built Magento tools and not the add-ins. We will also discuss the steps that a Magento developer needs to take in order to configure the desired option.
Search Options in Magento
You can set three search criteria in Magento. Let’s look at each in detail.
- Like: If your search criteria in Magento is set to “Like,” the search results will include products that are similar to the searched keywords i.e., it will show items with that word. For example, if a customer searches for keyboard, the results will include all the products with words “key” and “board” in them. This type of search result is more suited for small-scale e-commerce sites.
- Fulltext: If your search criteria in Magento is set to “Fulltext,” the search results will include products that are appropriate on the basis of the text input in the search box. So, keeping the same example as above, if the user searches for a keyboard, the search criteria would be look for the full word rather than breaking that up and showing results with the words key and board. While this looks like a desirable search option, it is not tolerant towards spelling errors.
- Combined: If your search criteria in Magento is set to “Combined,” the search results will include products that are similar to the keyword and also relevant. In case of the same example, if keyboard is searched, then the results will include products with the keywords and the relevant products as well. In this, the searched results might be very broad and the customer will have trouble in locating the exact product being looked for.
Steps for Configuring the Search Options
- Step 1: Open the Magento Admin Panel and access the System tab.
- Step 2: Select Configuration.
- Step 3: On the Configuration page, select Catalog from the left-hand navigation panel.
- Step 4: Select Catalog Search.
- Step 5: In the Search Type area, input your desired search type.
The above choice have limitations and therefore, Magento developers often look for extensions and add-ins for additional features like refining search results, auto-complete options, etc. Some common Magento extensions that are picked by professionals are: Instant Search +, Sphinx, Search Auto complete and Search Auto suggest. Some of these are free and others are paid and offer a variety of features.
If you are confused about the choices, hire a professional. There are many options in Magento development India at competitive prices. Make a wise choice and let the professionals handle it for you.